How do you change a brake light switch on a Nissan Altima?
How to Remove Altima Brake Light Switch
- Remove the dash panel underneath the steering wheel by pulling it straight down.
- Locate the brake light switch. The switch is at the top of the brake pedal. …
- Pull the cotter pin out of the brake light switch retaining pin and remove the pin. Slide the brake light switch forward and down to remove the switch.
How do you know if your brake light switch is bad?
Place the sensor on just one of the two wires and hold the brake pedal down as you do so. Then test the other wire. If power is connected and the switch is working properly, the test bulbs will illuminate. If it doesn’t light up, the brake light switch is faulty and will need to be replaced.
How much does it cost to replace a brake light switch?
A replacement brake light switch generally costs around $30 to $75, depending on the make and model of the vehicle. Getting a brake light switch fixed at a shop will add typically $80 to the repair.
Where does the brake light switch go?
You can see your brake light switch by looking under the dash, near the top of the brake pedal. The brake light switch is usually attached to a small bracket that holds the switch, activated when the pedal is depressed, in position.
How do you change a brake light switch?
How to Replace a Brake Light Switch
- Open the driver door of the car and kneel down inside so that you can see and reach the underside of the dash, where the pedals connect.
- Remove the two or four Phillips-head screws that are behind the brake pedal and that hold the electrical cover in place. …
- Remove the cover.
What will a bad brake light switch cause?
Brake light switch problems
A faulty brake light switch can cause many problems. If a switch is bad, the brake lights won’t operate and the transmission shifter will not come out of “Park” position. In cars with a push-button start system, a faulty brake light switch can cause the vehicle not to start.
How can I check my brake lights by myself?
At night, back up close to a wall and hit the brakes. You should be able to see a red glow on the wall showing if the lights are working. Have someone step on the brake pedal while you look at the back end of the vehicle. There should be at least 2 bulbs that light up regardless of the lighting configuration.
Will AutoZone change my brake light?
An AutoZone store employee may be able to help you replace your brake lights, tail lights, headlights, and other exterior car lights, but the company does not officially offer this as a service, an AutoZone corporate customer service representative said.
How long does it take to replace a brake light?
Fortunately, tail light bulb replacement isn’t difficult and shouldn’t take you more than 45 minutes to an hour to complete.