Does a Nissan Altima have 2 thermostats?
The cooling system on 2003 to 2005 Nissan Altimas came equipped with two thermostats. The top thermostat opens to allow the coolant to circulate out of the engine block and into the top of the radiator. …
How do you change a thermostat on a Nissan Altima?
How to Replace a Nissan Thermostat
- Park your car on a level surface. …
- Follow the upper hose off your radiator to where it connects to the engine block. …
- Remove the two bolts holding the thermostat housing in place using a socket wrench. …
- Pinch the raised portion of the thermostat with your thumb and forefinger and pull the thermostat from its seat.
How do I know if my thermostat on my car is bad?
Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Thermostat
- Temperature gauge reading very high and engine overheating. The first and potentially most alarming symptom will be the temperature gauge reading high into the red within the first 15 minutes of your vehicle engine running. …
- Temperature changing erratically. …
- Coolant leaks around the thermostat housing or under the vehicle.
How much is a thermostat for a Nissan Altima?
The average cost for a Nissan Altima thermostat replacement is between $120 and $147. Labor costs are estimated between $88 and $111 while parts are priced between $32 and $36 .
Can I drive my car with a bad thermostat?
If it is failed in a closed position then you cannot really drive it with the thermostat broken, as the engine would overheat. … This however will not generally have any impact on the ability to drive the car, at least if you let it warm up before you start driving.
Can you drive a car with a stuck thermostat?
Most automobile mechanics will tell you it is not a good idea to drive your car without a thermostat installed. If your thermostat becomes stuck in the closed position, though, this will cause your engine to overheat and make driving your car impossible.
Why does my car have 2 thermostats?
The dual thermostat system was designed to accomplish the same temperature control under different load conditions. Instead of manipulation of the air side of the radiator, the coolant flow to the radiator is varied.
Why does my Nissan Altima overheat?
What are common reasons my Nissan Altima overheats? While there are a variety of reasons your Nissan Altima is overheating, the most common 3 are a coolant leak (water pump, radiator, hose etc.), the radiator fan, or a failed thermostat.
How much is a coolant thermostat?
You will pay between $150 and $200 to have your thermostat replaced. The labor should be around $125, while parts should cost you, on average, about $45.
How can I test my car thermostat without removing it?
How to Test a Car Thermostat Without Removing It
- Make sure your engine is cold. …
- Start the engine and let it run until the temperature gauge starts to move. …
- Stop the engine and feel the temperature of the top radiator hose.
- If your car’s thermostat is working correctly, the hose should feel cool.
How do you test a car thermostat?
Start your car’s engine and allow it to idle. Look through the radiator filler neck to see if the coolant flows. At this time, it should not be flowing as your car has not reached the operating temperature to cause the thermostat to open. If you find the coolant is flowing, it means the thermostat valve is open.
How do I know if my thermostat is broken?
The most common signs of a broken thermostat are:
- Thermostat display is off or is non-responsive.
- Turning on the heat or AC does nothing.
- The heat or AC will come on, but either stays on nonstop or cuts out before the temperature setting is reached.
How long does it take to change a thermostat on a car?
Q: How long do it take to replace a car thermostat
The time required varies by vehicle year, make, and model. The required time could range from 1/2 hour to literally hours in some unusual designs.6 мая 2017 г.
Can a bad thermostat make your engine light come on?
The most noticeable issues occur when the thermostat gets stuck in either the open or closed position. … A malfunction can result in a trouble code, generated by the engine’s computer, which can turn on your check engine light.